I made this figure with a chenille dress over the summer when I was completely enthralled with the chenille process. I was excited with the resulting figure, but the head and face just didn't work. I wanted to create a rather primitive figure, so the first attempt was a stuffed fabric head. Eventually, I tried a paper mache head with a polymer face. Someone suggested a mask to cover the kind of boring polymer face. Good idea, but it just made the head larger, and the head was already a little too big.
Finally, one day this week, I took her over to the work bench, stuck her head in the vise, and cut it off. This was a very satisfying moment! I was able to leave the central dowel in place and used it as the base of a new head. This one is quite a bit smaller than earlier attempts. It is made from air-dry clay, painted with acrylics and liberally coated with sealer. She seems a little annoyed, but I am charmed.