This week I have been developing two new doll ideas. ( Note: This goes against my recent resolution not to make "merchandise".) Neither one is really ready to show off here, so I thought it would be fun to post photos of some early dolls that were made long before Open Range Art Dolls began.
The first doll is a clown my mom made in the 1950's. She used a 2 x 4 for the body, covering one end to make the head. He has shoe button eyes and a nose made from felt in a little roll so it sticks out. Each hand and foot is the head of an old fashioned clothes pin. Without arms and legs inside the garment, the figure sits easily. I don't remember the plaid fabric or the red pom-poms from when I was a kid, so maybe he has had a make over, too.
The second doll is one I made in the mid 1990's. I had discovered the book Dollmaking, by E.J. Taylor about then. I'm sure I was inspired by the figure of a mime doll that he describes. I used mom's idea, however, substituting a box for the body, instead of a block of wood. This was one of my first attempts to use polymer clay for a face. I don't know why the face has developed serious cracks. I haven't had a problem with that in a long time. The hat made things a little easier: No ears, no hair.