On a recent afternoon with my Mom, my sister and I decided to have an art making challenge. Our supplies were limited to what we could find as we walked around the block and whatever art and craft supplies my mom could find in her small apartment.
I started with 2 pieces of light weight cardboard, each 6" x 9". My paints were the craft quality acrylics that come in 2 oz. bottles. I painted one piece of cardboard with a white/green combination. The second one with white and aqua paint. Paints were mopped around with a very sad little brush and a paper towel I then decided to splice the 2 pieces together into one painting. I accomplished this using a piece of brown paper bag glued on the back. By peeling the previously used 2-ply toweling apart I had something to use to cover the splice on the front side. This also added a little texture that can be seen in the lower center. Near the end of the process I added the gray paint to tone things down a bit and took a picture with my cell phone, The photo made the piece appear to be kind of purple in places. I decided that was a good idea, so then added some real purple. Finally, I got going with the black paint, squirting it out of the little bottle in one fluid motion. Black dots made with the end of a small paint brush were the final touch. I gave this a quick coat of sealer when I got home.
I am always happy when I get involved in a creative project like this and I was pleased to notice that my painterly thinking has taken a mini step forward.