The Uncommon Quilting Challenge continues! The 4 squares described in this post will bring me up to date to the end of March.
Square #9: I selected 3 colors of nylon netting in 2 sizes. Stored in a clear plastic envelope the netting looked to have wonderful potential for this project. An intricate pattern developed as the layers overlapped and the colors modified each other in an interesting way. However, I found the material very difficult to manipulate and it caught in the presser foot frequently. It took many layers to build up color and I finally gave up.
Square #10: Plowing around again in the scrap box I found part of a silk shirt. The best parts had long since used for other projects, leaving just the collar. Its familiar shape popped against the contrasting yellow background. I decided to quilt this in a simple grid pattern and with some planning and luck I caught most of the edges without interfering with the top stitching that was already there. This came together quickly which was a happy change from the struggle on #9!
Square #11: This square was quick to make, too. The fabric selection was key, and I started with a hand painted piece that included yellow and pink with black printed squares, and then selected 2 commercial prints and a light gray background. The irregularly cut strips were woven across the surface in a grid and stitched along each edge. It might be interesting to work back into this with more stitching - maybe red X's in each white spot, or just more grid lines.
Square #12: This is my favorite square in the project so far! I looked through my collage box for an idea, or an interesting material. This was a plastic mailing envelope covered with a rough grid arrangement of postage stamps. I cut out the stamp part and set it against the green polka dot background. The black sheer ribbon tethers the green to the edges of the square. Part of the success comes in the repetition of stamps. Scroll down to see more details. And, of course, the irregular grid idea shows up again!