How about a few more "Hoop Skirt" dolls? I retired this style after making a group of six pieces in 2014. This was one of the first doll styles I made and sold in 2009. This success began a series of over 100 pieces in the smaller size (26" across the base) and 30 dolls in the larger size (about 23" across the base). The shape of skirt changed a bit over time and I tried a variety of design strategies, always relying on machine quilted fabric collage for the skirt But, finally, enough was enough! I recently pulled out the few pieces remaining in my inventory, thinking I would like to present them this spring. Well, they just didn't look that good! So, I am in the process of making at least two more.
The piece below was painted about this time last year. it was part of a group of fabric paintings using free brush strokes and printing. This piece got pretty wild! Parts of this are great, but taken all together it is a bit much. I decided to use part of this in a skirt for a large hoop skirt doll.
I was hoping to have this finished for the blog pictures. As it turns out, the photo makes it easier to see a few more adjustments to make. I have now broken up the patterned blocks a little more with strips of black, and I have painted the bottom stick and the bodice turquoise, adding wood finials on each side of the base.
I am happier with these design changes. But for some reason she doesn't hang straight, kind of drooping down on the right side. I haven't figured that out yet. Also, I discovered that there isn't quite enough skirt fabric to wrap around the edges, so I'll have to add a narrow bias strip on each side. I'm beginning to remember why this style was in retirement! I to share a photo of the finished doll soon!